Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rising...

A few days ago, I heard a guy talking...

He said he had one goal for his life. Just one.

All resources in his life were focused on making that one goal happen.

I always have goals. I always have too many goals. I have probably 5 goals just for 2016...and these are major goals!

I have to admit that the thought of having one goal appealed to me.

But how to make such a goal? How to make such an all-encompassing grouping of words that would define my life and propel me forward into the future for the rest of my life?

I started researching and found blogs of highly successful people who had accomplished so much more than I have in my life. Some of these individuals had at least 100 goals.

These looked more like bucket lists to me.

I have a hard enough time trying to keep my attention on my teeny, tiny list of 6 goals.

So I decided that instead of a goal...I needed a mission statement....a vision for my life.  A statement that I could memorize, print out, write everywhere, take pictures of, use as my wallpaper...

So I started writing down what I wanted to accomplish. I started to ask myself these questions...

What do I want to do? (not necessarily in this order)

  • Write a book
  • Sell a photograph
  • Lose 92 pounds total (85 left to go)
  • Visit the Ocean Yearly (more often if possible)
  • Learn how to paint with various media
  • Get better at drawing (develop a style)
  • Procure enough chickens to be able to sell eggs
  • Be a good Mom
  • be a good wife
  • Follow God's path for me
  • Make Gold, Sr Gold, Ruby, Sr Ruby, Emerald ambassador with Plexus
  • run a 5k
  • Rescue animals
  • Get out of debt
  • Tithe 10% to church and other charitable organizations.
  • Fully fund my own IRA. 
  • Bring people to Christ
What do I want to see?
  • Take a trip down Route 66
  • the Grand Canyon
  • The Pacific Ocean
  • Visit one new beach every 3 years
  • See the Gulf of Mexico
  • The Mississippi River Cruise
  • My children and grandchildren graduate
  • Georgia
  • All animals in HC find homes
  • All my kids graduate from High School and college
What do I want to be? (Not necessarily in this order)
  • A Good wife and mother
  • A good daughter, sister, aunt
  • A follower of Christ
  • An author
  • An artist/photographer
  • A poet
  • An Animal rescuer
  • Responsible adult
  • Good money manager

What do I want to have?

  • My Family
  • My House
  • Healthy relationship
  • A laidback lifestyle
  • A couple of good friends
  • My collections
    • space shuttle program memorabilia
    • Rudolph collectibles
    • dolls
    • old toys
    • Coca Cola Collectibles
    • books
  • Pets, chickens
  • Enough money that I can pay all my bills and still have enough left over to live without conflict
    • to make over $50,000 a year with Plexus and selling my books.
Where do I want to go?
  • Gulf of Mexico
  • Georgia
  • The Pacific Ocean
  • Route 66
  • Dirty Dancing Experience
  • The Mississippi river (Cruise)

What do I want to share?

  • My love of Christ 
  • Plexus
  • Wealth (Whatever that looks like)
What are my priorities?
  • To follow Christ
  • To be a good mother
  • to be a good wife
  • to be a good daughter
  • to be a good sister
  • to be a good aunt
  • to become successful with Plexus
  • to become an author
  • to be financially responsible and stable


And just for the record...

Goals I have met already.
  • See the Ocean
  • Get my Bachelors degree in Education
  • Get my Associates Degree in Education
  • Run a 3K
  • Own my own home (Thanks to my husband)
  • Have 4 kids
  • Saw one kid graduate from High School and college
  • Made Silver ambassador with Plexus

So now to come up with a statement that will encompass all these goals and what I want for my life.  

This statement is transitional, metamorphic....a living, changing thing. If my life changes and a goal drops off, so be it. I am sure I will add more to it as things are accomplished and my life ebbs and flows.

"Each day, I will strive to live everyday to my fullest potential; I will spend time with God following the path he leads me on; I will spend time caring for, loving, and nurturing my family, realizing that everything I do for them is an act of love; I will dedicate my time to money making activities to increase my income and take the burden off my husband; I will strive to keep my home clean and in good shape;  I will strive to keep my body as healthy and fit as I possibly can; I will embrace new opportunities for adventure and travel; I will finish my book and get it published, making writing a daily part of my life; I will strive to be the best human being I can be, making good choices, being a good role model, and doing more for others than I do for myself."


The truth is life is not a list to be checked off, however it is not to be drifted through aimlessly either. The goal is to find a balance between work and play, an adult mindset and a child-like perception, between the seasons that embrace us and the ones that plague us...to find faith, hope, and love in whatever cranny we can find it...to absorb all the goodness the world has to give us, to accept the bad, to burn it down, and like a phoenix arise from the ashes more spectacular, strong, and  beautiful!

To not do these things is to waste your life.

 It is my goal to do the best I can with whatever time God has given me.





No comments:

Post a Comment